The Iraq Delegation of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Erbil invites qualified candidates to apply for the following vacancy:
Position: Wathab Engineer (Mechanical or Electrical Engineer)
Duration of Contract: One year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal)
Location: Iraq – Erbil
Date of Issue: 11 July 2019
Deadline for applications: 24 July 2019
To ensure the work of the Wathab department is managed efficiently and effectively in line with an established guidelines. You will need to be an enthusiastic, flexible, committed, and a resourceful colleague who can support the Manager to lead the team. The successful candidate will need to deliver to a high standard, be resilient and have a positive “can do” attitude.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities under the direct supervision of the Construction Project Manager:
- Supervises – along with the consultant site engineers – the contractors and suppliers working on the Physical Rehabilitation Centre project site and conducts quality control of infrastructure installed by the ICRC
- Monitors project implementation for compliance with project documents, ICRC standards, and local building codes/standards, ensuring corrective action is taken where necessary.
- Ensures that the Health and Safety plans and Construction Environmental Management Plan are followed at any time reporting and enforcing through the established channels any breach of it and the required corrective measures.
- Provides technical evaluations and monitors the respect of drawings, specifications, standards, norms and local laws.
- Participates in the financial management and monitoring of the project as well as the elaboration, together with the other actors on site, of the interim payment certificate.
- Prepares implementation/progress reports.
- Organises meetings, takes minutes and ensures follow-up.
- Draws up documents (drawings, bills of quantities, contracts, etc.) for Physical Rehabilitation Centre construction project using approved formats.
- Creates project files in electronic databases (such as the WatHab Project Assistant application) and keeps them up to date.
- Provides regular information to colleagues on security, stakeholder issues and site progress.
- Administers hand-over of ICRC-provided infrastructure to end-users.
- Uses results-based management to evaluate project implementation.
- Helps identify needs through assessments and surveys.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- University degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering.
- 3-5 years in site supervision implementing HVAC & Fire safety systems
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, Kurdish and Arabic.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and AutoCAD/ZWCAD.
- Proven experience implementing HVAC systems and fire safety systems.
- Experience in communicating and working with a wide range of people, including people of culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results;
- Proficiency in Office applications, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and AutoCAD/ZWCAD..
- Takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism.
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies.
- Monitors own work to correct errors.
- Actively shares relevant information.
ICRC Remuneration and Social Benefits: We offer
- A monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, medical coverage, training opportunities and social security scheme)
- The opportunity to practice your profession in an international, humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Support you through ongoing learning and development opportunities
The successful candidate will submit to a three month probation period.
Interested candidates should forward the following to (ERB_hr_services@icrc.org)
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications
- Salary expectations
Please indicate the post title you are applying for. Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permit in Iraq.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted immediately.
As ICRC, we are convinced that diversity makes us better at what we do: it enables us to form close relationships with wide-ranging communities and develop the best solutions for the people we work with. We make a conscious effort to have diverse teams with regards to age, disability, race, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation and particularly in terms of gender as women make up more than 20 % of our staff and are encouraged to apply.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and provide them with assistance. Please visit our website for further information: www.icrc.org
ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).