WASH Team Leader
Duty Station [Tikrit Iraq]
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Present in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in several South-Central governorates. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH, Shelter and Mine Action. The Iraq programme presently employs some 450-national staff and 45 international staff, and is growing to meet new, emerging needs associated with ongoing and recent conflict in multiple locations
About the job:
- Supervise members in team
- Deliver technical support and guidance to team
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC
- Develop and maintain good relations with relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors to support adequate
- Implementation and coordination of DRC’s Sector activities: Sector responsibilities: Emergency water supply, hygiene item distribution, hygiene information and education, construction of latrines, installation water points, wells and water storage. Water purification.
- Lead and manage the team (including people planning, performance, well-being and development)
- Ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the WASH activities
- Provide technical support and inputs Reporting
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets for donors
- Lead the team in carrying out monitoring and evaluation exercises
- May have budget management responsibility
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on sector relevant issues
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors
- Develop project plans and budgets for funding
- Develop projects tools
- Project implementation and reporting
- Monitor and evaluate projects
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-up
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different operational areas
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner
As Team Leader the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for people management of employee in the same area of work
- Accountable for ensuring that agreed work plans and tasks set by the next-level up Manager are implemented on time
- Initiating the hiring and firing of employees and conducting performance appraisals are permitted at this level, but are overseen by the next-level manager.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 1.5 year of experience of implementing WASH programming in Iraq, preferably Salah Al Din, and experience with OFDA fund is an advantage.
- Minimum 1.5 year experience of leading the planning and implementation of rehabilitation of critical services such as water networks, sanitation and drainage in Iraq, preferably Salah Al Din.
- Management experience at a mid-level working for an international NGO or UN agency.
- Experience of working closely with local authorities to agree programming, approvals of works and collaboration in Iraq, preferably Salah Al Din.
- Practical field experience in WASH working for an INGO
- Proven management skills and a competence in people management
- Excellent skills in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Master's degree in engineering, or bachelor’s degree and relevant experience
- Native Arabic.
- Full professional proficiency in English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 3 months (renewable based on both funding and performance).
Start date: 1st of June 2019
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies. .
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking here or on the apply button.
Closing date for applications: 24 of May, 2019. Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
Read more here about what our employees say about working in DRC.
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process. Visit drc.ngo to read more about what we do to secure robust safeguarding mechanisms.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.