Under the supervision of the Programme Manager and the Chief Engineer, the WASH Officer is responsible for the implementation of technical programmes/interventions undertaken by ACTED either sub-contracted or through CFW/daily labour, matching with ACTED’s quality criteria and strategy.
He/She is responsible of his/her activity in terms of quality, respect of the targets, bill of quantities, respect of the budget and deadline.
- Project Implementation, Planning and Follow Up:
- Ensure that planned activities are successfully implemented according to ACTED’s quality standards and SoPs;
- Prepare Bills of Quantities and Designs as required by programmes.
- Collaborate with the Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (AMEU) to assess need, monitor activities, and evaluate programme progress. Ensure that lessons learned in the course of implementation are integrated into the programme to ensure that it remains responsive and relevant;
- Provide input and regularly review all FLAT Follow-Up for ongoing programmes together with the relevant department manager and Programme Coordinator;
- Be alert to opportunities arising for learning, collaboration and partnership that may enhance programme quality and responsiveness;
- Provide relevant technical expertise/guidance to ensure that technical quality and standards are maintained during project implementation;
- Develop and implement an exit strategy in collaboration with his/her team, AME unit and the Project Manager;
- Report regularly (as requested) to the Project Manager and Chief Engineer;
- Translate relevant documents or information during field visits;
- Facilitate trainings or programme coordination meetings by translating and/or supporting discussions. Moreover, he/she shall be in a position to present ACTED’s global and programmatic strategies and activities in township NGO forum or for Local Authorities;
- Work proactively to ensure that the projects are responsive and relevant to community needs;
- Supervise Daily labour/sub-contractors hired to support with the WASH activities;
- Submit accurate and detailed reports on assistance provided to beneficiary and technical activities conducted;
- Assist in building positive relations with local authorities and external actors to grant access to beneficiaries;
- Under supervision of the PM and Chief Engineer, forecast and prepare technical assessment and activities, triggering the commodities request to the relevant departments (e.g. logistics) if necessary;
- Ensure that project timeframe and deadlines are abide to and that the project runs on time;
- Ensure community/beneficiary feedback is collected and shared in programme and coordination meetings;
- Ensure that other project/field staff complete all the necessary documentation in line with programme requirements.
- Project Support
- Support with surveying of beneficiaries and others when needed;
- Support with data analysis and reporting;
- Support the PM and Chief Engineer in the preparation of reports to be submitted to Donors / Authorities / Coordination bodies. He/she will be expected to provide reports covering activity implementation, achievement of objectives, successes / challenges, beneficiary feedback, etc;
- Provide regular reports to the PM and the Chief Engineer on the progress of the implementation of activities and on observations made during the mission and collaborate closely with the AME unit as part of monitoring and evaluation activities;
- To process data and information from field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data;
- To support assessment and monitoring staff to have an independent, open access to beneficiaries in order to collect complaints;
- To support in preparation of the monthly/weekly work plan schedules;
- To prepare all other report upon request by the Program Managers;
- Provide with suggestions on improvement of the work process as needed.
- To perform accurate filing of all processed documents, monthly consolidated filing of key project documents in the office;
- To prepare, on demand, summaries and reports of activities according to ACTED needs and reflecting the most accurate data of the activities developed;
- To support the assessment and monitoring staff on recording complaints if needed;
- On close coordination with internal audit department, to assist on the final reporting of activities, including field verification of leftover stocks and identification of beneficiaries;
- Ensure all relevant filing is properly organised, up-to-date and complete for all projects. He/she shall, also work closely with the FLAT teams to support project reconciliation / general monthly follow-up exercises.
- Required qualifications and technical competencies
- WASH (water, sanitation, environmental, or civil) Engineer profile with at least 2 years of experience in supervising infrastructure and civil engineering works. Preference to who has worked on sanitation projects such as wastewater treatment plant, faecal sludge treatment plant, treatment ponds, etc.
- Strong experience construction supervision and contractors management;
- Good knowledge and experience on sanitation management;
- AutoCad proficiency required, GIS knowledge is an asset.
- Professionalism and Personal Qualities
- A willingness to learn quickly, ask questions, and improve on his/her skills;
- Excellent communication, diplomatic and motivational skills with program staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders in the camp;
- S/he is committed to honesty and clarity in all data collection, and expects the same from cash for work staff;
- Strong attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and problem solve in a fast moving, multi-site environment;
- Demonstrate flexibility to work on unusual hours and cope with the pressure from emergency activities;
- English, Kurdish and Arabic language skills are required.
Interested candidates can apply via the following link:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.