The position holder acts as principal support to the Head of Project for overall programme planning and operational coordination at micro and macro-level. All communication with governmental bodies and entities must be closely coordinated with the Liaison Management Iraq.
• Keep abreast of key developments within the programme and pin down overall support needs.
• Advisory support for overall programme planning and operational coordination
• Ensure quality control of partnerships and advocacy
• Support the Head of Project in liaising with relevant governmental entities and ministries in close collaboration with the Liaison Officer of the country office
• Deputize the Head of Project during his absence regarding all activities within the German Centre for Migration, Reintegration and Jobs
• Identify, research, analyze, prepare and/or organize briefing materials for the Head of Project in order to facilitate decision-making, at both strategic and operational levels, and support the planning, implementation and review phase of the operations
• Support the Head of Project to liaise with field offices, stakeholders, governmental partners and entities
• Consult and collaborate with colleagues to exchange critical information and monitor trends and developments inside the program
• Keep the Head of Project advised on information received by governmental bodies to ensure the harmonization and linkages with institutional messaging in interactions with stakeholders, donors and other partners
• Support the Head of Project in facilitating information flow with senior management
• Participate in meetings related to strategic discussions with or on behalf of the Head of Project
• Prepare for the Head of Project participation in high-level meetings, missions, key events GIZ internal working-groups, task forces, boards etc.
• Coordinate the drafting of statements, talking points and various correspondence for the Head of Project, ensuring quality and relevance to subject and themes
• Assist the Head of Project in coordinating the sharing of relevant information within the Office, to HQ and with relevant partners, including of course Iraqi government authorities
• Support the development of partnerships with government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc. • Backstop the Head of Project in analyzing and appraising relevant documents and reports
• Conduct research and prepare inputs for internal organizational issue or thematic areas, as requested by the Head of Project
• Review papers, reports and other substantive documentation for clearance/decision by the Head of Project
Provide Strategic policy and political analytical support to the Head of Project:
• Maintain and develop day-to-day contacts with key government authorities and ensure the prompt sharing of information, conclusions or messages with the Head of Project and Senior Management, or GIZ programme staff, as appropriate.
• Support the development and maintenance of existing joint consultation processes within government authorities and other stakeholders in the area of responsibility.
• Act as a point of referral and advice for communications between the GIZ and the local authorities.
• Liaise with the GIZ RMO, in case of any emergency.
Maintains strategic partnerships and support the resource mobilization in cooperation with other agencies:
▪ Support the development of partnerships with government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
University degree in social sciences, international relations, development cooperation, conflict resolution, peace and development studies, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred, equivalent work experience will be considered
• A minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in policy and programme support, strategic planning, coordination support or change management
• Proven track record of drafting high quality proposals, reports, strategic notes and related documents
• Familiarity in the liaison with Iraqi government authorities and other international donors
• Thorough understanding of the political context and sensitivities and a diplomatic approach towards difficult situations
Competencies • Strong critical thinking and solid organizational skills, with a proven ability to prioritize projects with attention to details
• Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity
• Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents
• Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
• Building and promoting effective teams
• Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
• Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards
• Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning
• Fair and transparent decision-making; calculated risk-taking
• Ability to go beyond established procedures and practices, introduce new approaches and strategic innovations
• Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches
• Fluency in written and spoken English, German language skills is an advantage
• Very good working knowledge of ICT and computer applications (e.g. MS Office) • Ability and willingness to undertake significant travel to potentially insecure environments
CV/Resume to be send to: GIZ.Iraq.Jobs@giz.de
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted