Protection Assistant (Legal)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region.
About the job
Overall purpose of the role:
- Provision of legal aid services including legal information dissemination, counselling, assistance, and representation to beneficiaries in Salah Al Din. In the communities where DRC works, in accordance with DRC’s organizational mandate, and priorities.
- The Protection Assistant (legal) will also be responsible for maintaining their case data within relevant legal trackers and databases, following up on referrals, and contributing report inputs.
- Assist the Protection Officer in ensuring quality of the planning, implementation and follow up on legal services provided
Geographic scope: Salah Al Din (Iraq)
This role has a focus on Salah Al Din and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within DRC Iraq and the Salah Al Din area office. The role contributes to the implementation of protection strategies for Salah Al Din, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Provision of legal aid:
- Provide legal services, in line with DRC Iraq guidance and standard operating procedure (SOP) to community members of different ages (youth, adults and older persons), gender (men and women) and abilities (including people with disabilities).
- At all times, respect information management principles and guiding protection principles.
- Disseminate accurate and impartial information to the beneficiaries through individual counselling, collective/group events, advisories, and leaflets.
- Identification of people in need of individual legal aid (legal counseling or legal representation) and ensure timely response.
- Identification of vulnerable people in need of individual protection support (case management and/or individual protection assistance), ensure timely referral and coordinate on multidisciplinary response.
- Report urgent and high-risk cases to Protection Officer (legal) and Protection Team Leader (legal)
- Undertake individual sessions providing legal information and legal counseling as per the established work plan.
- Provide legal representative services to qualifying individuals, including for civil documentation and housing, land, and property issues.
- Assess whether selected beneficiaries qualify for financial assistance under the legal aid program fund to cover costs related to resolving legal issues.
- Conduct regular visits to targeted field locations.
- Participate in internal and external trainings, as requested by the Protection Officer (legal aid) and Protection Team Leader.
- Support capacity building activities of community groups, civil society organizations and local NGOs.
- Remain up-to-date on legal procedure and policy developments, providing Legal officer with situation reports as needed.
- Provide inputs for an up-to-date service mapping of the service providers operating in the area.
- Ensure all legal aid activities are recorded and documented accurately and in a timely fashion on DRC Iraq’s IM system.
- Maintain legal aid case files up to date and ensure information management principles are respected at all times.
- Provide inputs to internal/external reports at the request of the Protection Team Leader and Project Manager – Protection.
- Support MEAL team with implementation of evaluations and surveys.
- Produce activity reports as required by Protection Officer (legal aid).
- Support Protection Officer (legal aid) with administrative tasks including purchase requests to supply chain.
- Ensure compliance with DRC guidelines and policies on HR, admin, finance, and supply.
- Ensure adherence to DRC national staff policy guidelines and Code of Conduct.
- Ensure compliance with DRC AGD policy and AGD programmatic minimum standards.
- Ensuring compliance with the zero-tolerance to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy
- Perform any other relevant tasks as requested by the Protection Officer (CBP) and Protection Team Leader
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience in the legal sector, with experience in Companies law, Labor law & workers' rights. Internship/work experience accrued during legal studies is also accepted.
- Experience in facilitation of legal awareness session and the delivery of legal counseling to vulnerable groups is preferred.
- Understanding of protection principles, protection minimum standards
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word and PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and always prioritize the safety and dignity of beneficiaries.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Fluency in Arabic
- Ability to communicate and write in English.
Candidates with contextual understanding and legal experience will be given preference over English language requirements.
- Finance department
- Logistics department
- Programmes staff
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 10 Months
Start date: 1st of June 2021
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates/ Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 30 April 2021
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.