IOM is a major actor in post-conflict recovery and reconstruction, and as such is heavily involved in livelihood development and job creation programming. IOM’s strengths lie in its field presence around the country and operational capacity to rebuild community infrastructure, conduct vocational and other trainings, providing grant funding at local level to support business development and a variety of other areas key to recovery.
The Khanke Carpet Factory was constructed by IOM in 2018. The purpose of the factory is to offer sustainable livelihood opportunities to the Yazidi community in Khanke. The Factory primarily involves the production of local carpets and other wool products, while offering services from local Civil Social Organizations (CSOs).
Under the general guidance of the senior Emergency and Programme Coordinator, under the administrative supervision of the Head of sub Office of Dohuk, the overall supervision of the Regional Coordinator for Ninewa and Dohuk, and the direct supervision of the Team Leader (Dohuk) within the Return and Recovery Unit (RRU) of IOM Iraq, the Project Assistant_ Khanke Carpet Factory will be responsible for all day-to-day operations of the Khanke Carpet Factory while supporting all related operational aspects within the area of responsibility as below.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Supervise day-to-day operations at the Khanke Carpet Factory;
- Monitor employees’ productivity and attendance, while providing constructive feedback and coaching to all employees at the Khanke Carpet Factory;
- In coordination with relevant IOM staff, ensure oversight over the finances of the factory and continue to check on the value and price of the products produced at the factory;
- Ensure that IOM standards are upheld at all times at the Khanke Carpet Factory and ensure that proper complaints and feedback mechanisms are in place and constantly available to beneficiaries;
- Prepare monthly production work plan and assign responsibilities to the beneficiaries, while producing monthly reports to IOM regarding the work complete;
- Assist in designing carpets, kilims and other wool products;
- Work to build a market network and marketing strategy and employ both to identify sales opportunities and establish market penetration for the products produced at the Khanke Factory. When required, this will include represent IOM and the work / products at the Khanke Carpet Factory at tradeshows, cultural events, and marketing / sale opportunities;
- In coordination with the Sr. Project Associate, meet with partner Organizations that have activities in the area (Khanke) that relate to the activities of the Khanke Carpet Factory to build partnerships and leverage possible coordination opportunities;
- Implement a stock control system and ensure efficient use of raw materials and office supplies at the factory;
- Keep financial tracking and bookkeeping for all factory expenditures and other financial transactions.
- Assist during visits to the Khanke Carpet Factory, ensure IOM and donor visibility in all activities implemented, and ensure public information materials (photos, videos, etc) are gathered for general use by IOM;
- Perform other duties required by the HoSo, Senior Program Assistant, and other senior managers
- Work prioritization and ability to multitask;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to work and act under pressure with discretion in politically sensitive environment with a minimum of comfort;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Ready to work independently, under tight deadlines;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment with a positive attitude;
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty;
- Strives for supportive working environment and positive working relationship;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
IOM IN/234 - Policy and Procedures for Preventing and Responding to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
IOM has a policy of zero tolerance of sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) by IOM staff members and the employees or any other persons engaged and controlled by IOM Contractors. The staff members and all contract type holders shall protect against and prevent sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- University or college degree (Bachelors-level / tertiary) in social sciences or related field from an accredited academic institution with two-years of work experience equivalent combination of relevant training;
- Secondary level diploma with 4 years of work experience.
Experience and Skills
- Experience in social projects/community stabilization though a gender point and experience with international organization is an advantage;
- Experience in managing centers, specifically community centers with various activities;
- Background in grant management or NGO-related work is an advantage;
- Knowledge of livelihood activities / interventions is an advantage;
- Understanding of the displacement dynamics in Dohuk and Ninewa along with the response functions within each area is an advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skill is a requirement
- Fluency in English and Arabic (written and spoken) are required
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via a link:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.