The Center for Victims of Torture (CVT) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to provide trauma rehabilitative services to survivors of gross human rights abuses, including torture, and works toward a future in which gross human rights violations ceases to exist and its victims have hope for a new life. We are headquartered in Minnesota, USA with offices in Africa and the Middle East. We work locally, nationally and internationally through programs that provide trauma rehabilitative services, conduct technical assistance and capacity building to human rights activists, civil society organizations, and local service providers around the world who can prevent and treat gross human rights abuses, and advocate for human rights and an end to gross human rights violations.
About the Position:
The Operation Assistant is a member of CVT operation team in Erbil. Under the supervision of the HR/Operations Manager, s/he is responsible for ensuring smooth implementation of and adherence to admin, logistics and security procedures and provides logistical support to the CVT programs in Iraq. Translate project and operation documents as required.
Admin, Logistics and Procurement (70 %)
- Provide support, as required, to program activities, trainings and meetings logistics in all CVT field locations, e.g. getting approval, room booking, schedule coordination, hospitality, catering, venue booking, checking of invoices and attendance sheets, etc.
- Assist in organizing travel and accommodation for staff and visitors, including visas and work permits as applicable.
- Assist with proceeding governmental paper work and transactions.
- Assist in liaising with travel agencies to book for travel tickets as needed.
- Liaise with translators and interpreters as required.
- Assist in purchasing communication credit and providing them to staff and visitors.
- Prepare PRs and complete procurement processes according to procurement policy.
- Regularly review offices and guesthouses to ensure equipment, infrastructure, and furnishings are in good state of repair and maintenance at all times and report any needs to the supervisor.
- Assist in preparing monthly projections for office supplies based on monthly needs.
- Ensure that there is efficient use of all supplies in the main office.
- Assist in preparing inventory of all CVT assets and properties. Update and label the assets.
- To report the recent items purchased in the inventory.
- Assist in supervising and guiding drivers, guards and cleaners as requested by the supervisor.
- Ensure that drivers report to work on time and assign daily/weekly movement plans.
- Printing, scanning and photocopying documents as per request by staff.
- Printing of regularly used forms for requisition and procurement of office supplies.
- Assist in supervising and guiding the office cleaner.
- Any other admin and logistics responsibilities delegated by the HR/Operations Manager.
Risk Management ( 20%)
- Assist in carrying out risks assessment activities for the CVT field operations.
- Attend and represent CVT in security related meetings if requested by the supervisor.
- Assist in testing safety tools in all operational sites (e.g. fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, first aid kits, fire drills, etc.); report immediately any malfunctioning equipment to the supervisor.
- Assist in conducting ongoing risk analysis, advising on all aspects of risk management for CVT Iraq, including recommendations for mitigation measures.
- Assist in developing facility and site incident management plans, including contingency plans, hibernation, relocation and evacuation plans, and remote management plans.
- Immediately report any security incidents or concerns to the HR/Operations Manager.
- Assist in tracking movement of CVT vehicles, staff and commodities in the operational area.
- Monitor the political, economic, environmental and social context in the operational area.
- Any other risk management responsibilities delegated by the HR/Operations Manager.
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Assist in any HR related tasks assigned by the HR/Operations Manager.
- Provide simultaneous and consecutive interpretation for CVT Meetings and workshops as requested.
- Translate project and operation documents base on needs and request from HR / Operation Manager.
- Adherence to all relevant CVT policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies, including COVID-19 protocols.
- Actively participate in emergency preparedness and planning processes as requested.
- Remains flexible to assume other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- University or college qualification in management, operation, logistics or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in a relevant position with NGOs
- Good communication skills with ability to speak Kurdish, Arabic and English languages
Preferred education, experience, certificates, licenses or registrations
- Any professional certificates related to management or operations
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
- Political, culture and gender awareness in the context of different communities in Iraq
- Organizational, planning, reporting and prioritizing skills and abilities
- Ability to think and plan both strategically and creatively
- Commitment to and understanding of CVT’s vision, mission, values and principles
- Interest in or commitment to human rights
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and organizational skills
- Ability to travel independently, including to rural communities and work long hours
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Office environment with field work
- Time spent on the computer is approximately %40
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear and see. The employees is frequently required to sit, stand, walk and climb stairs; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to occasionally lift and carry heavy supplies. This position requires car travel up to 4 hours per one-way journey.
Regular travel to sites outside of Erbil, possibly including areas in the federal Iraq, depending on project development and security conditions.
Interested candidates must submit an updated CV with a Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “Operation Assistant” in the Subject line.
Application deadline: April 20, 2021.
Only short-listed applicants will be invited to interview