Nonviolent Peaceforce (NP) is a dynamic, international non-governmental organization. We work to reduce violence and protect civilians in countries affected by violent conflict and its aftermath.
NP is in the process of launching programming in Ba'aj District. Therefore, we are seeking highly motivated and skilled National Protection Officers to implement civilian protection and violence-prevention programming for those affected by the conflict in Iraq.
The post is based in Ba'aj, with frequent travel to nearby villages and Telafar.
The contract will be for 6 months with the possibility of extension.
- Commitment to NP Principles
- Know and understand the NP mandate, principles and values and actively commit to upholding and advocating for them both inside and outside of working hours
- Serve as a community role model for peaceful co-existence and nonviolence, and maintain a positive image of the organisation in the community at all times
- Be available for emergencies in the office or field
- Project Implementation / Programming
- Information gathering and contextual analysis
- Assist with information gathering and verification, and context analysis
- Proactively engage with all stakeholders in conflict (local community leaders, government authorities, police, army, non-state armed groups, and NGOs) to identify on-going and potential issues in the community that may trigger violence
- Community engagement
- Lead participatory meetings so as to support communities to apply NP principles and civilian protection mechanisms to improve their own security
- Conduct check-in calls and follow-up visits with community protection actors to assess their security situation and offer support in case of challenges with the implementation of protection mechanisms and security concerns
- Assist with the development of new programming concepts and training modules
- Co-facilitate trainings and workshops
- Assist with a written translation of training materials
- Provide oral translation during workshops and meetings
- Protective presence, accompaniment, and other interventions
- Provide a protective presence in situations where and when an incident may occur or has happened and which is a direct threat to peace and stability of the community while upholding the principle of non-partisanship
- Provide protective accompaniment to civilians at risk
- Assist in designing strategic interventions meant to mitigate conflict and protect civilians
- Manage cases of individuals who are vulnerable or under threat, including working with other service providers and managing a follow-up process.
- Administration & Operations
- Report all work activities according to the set procedures and standards of the Team Leader
- Participate in team meetings, debriefs and strategy sessions, implementing recommendations arising from lessons learnt
- Contribute to security assessments and contribute to the maintenance of security for the NP office and equipment
- Ensure all project work is consistent with agreed safety and security policies and procedures
- Assist with the procurement of supplies or other logistical matters when delegated by the Team Leader
- Handle operational funds in compliance with financial procedures; account for team cash managed by finance focal person
- Perform any other work-related duties that may be assigned by the Team Leader
- Education, Knowledge and Experience
Strong commitment to the safety and security of civilians
Good knowledge and understanding of the conflict context in Iraq
Strong ability to proactively engage and build relations with armed actors, IDPs, government officials, national and international INGOs, service providers, etc.
Experience of working with civil society actors or NGOs is an advantage
Ability to manage information with discretion
Ability to set priorities, solve problems and analyse data
Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
Proven ability to build relationships
Genuine commitment and interest in living and working at the community level
Flexibility, reliability and stress resilience
Ability to interact confidently with and present information effectively to colleagues and external contacts in verbal and written English
Proficiency in local languages required
Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite desirable
- Other Specialised Requirements
Willingness and ability to conduct field visits, including overnighting in the communities. This position is physically demanding.
This position is open to nationals of Iraq only.
Please email your updated CV together with a letter of motivation that tells us why you are interested in this position and how you are ideally suited to this particular position.
Email address is: email@example.com
Under the subject line of National Protection Officer-Ba'aj District
Applicants may not be screened without adding the mentioned subject line in the email application.
Applicants may not be screened if their residency is not Ba'aj District
Female applicants particularly are encouraged to apply for this position
As we receive a high volume of applications for each position, only those selected for an interview will be personally contacted. Thank you for your interest in Nonviolent Peaceforce.