Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC in Iraq
Iraq, with a long history of displacement, has seen an unprecedented rise in recent years. Of the more than 5.8 million Iraqis who fled their homes since 2014, two million remain displaced. Over four million Iraqis have returned to their area of origin. Many Iraqis have returned to areas that lack basic infrastructure, utility services and livelihood opportunities, or where explosive devices have not been cleared. Other challenges include: lack of security, community rejection, housing, property and civil documentation issues and lack of educational opportunities.
The UN estimates that more than 8 million Iraqis will need assistance in 2019, and 3.2 million children attend schools irregularly or not at all. Humanitarian agencies are asking for 569 million USD to deliver basic assistance to Iraqis (HRP 2019). With military operations against IS group having ended, the Iraqi government faces new challenges to ensure an inclusive reconstruction and reconciliation that will sustain peace.Since 2010,NRC Iraq has been assisting internally displaced Iraqis, Syrian refugees, and host communities in Ninewa, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk, Basra and Anbar.
We focus on assisting the newly displaced, those in lengthy displacement in camps and those in hard-to-reach places. In 2018, NRC scaled-up programmes across Iraq to respond to the large-scale displacements and returns, especially in Anbar governorate, around Kirkuk and in Ninewa using our water and sanitation, education, camp management, legal assistance, livelihoods, camp management, and cash activities.
Livelihoods and cash project Assistant-Agriculture (National Position)
The purpose of the assistant position is to assist in the day to day implementation of the Agricultural Livelihoods and cash projects, conducting community-based activities, ensuring community-involvement and assisting with open dialogue/communications between NRC and targeted communities.
Role and Responsibilities
- Work directly with enumerators and community focal points in conducting vulnerability assessments to host community, IDPs and returnees using tablet based questionnaire and livelihoods needs and market assessments.
- Implement beneficiary targeting and verification process for various activity streams under livelihoods and cash projects.
- Preparation and distribution of agricultural inputs and cash for work tools as well as other assets
- Monitoring voucher redemption process and compiling distribution report with support from the officer.
- Mobilise beneficiaries for project activities such as distribution, trainings, cash for work, coaching etc
- Establish strong working relationship with targeted communities, including local leaders and identification of local focal points
- Support partners/contractors/trainers to implement technical agricultural and business-focused training programmes
- Work with extension workers in the training of beneficiaries through the farmer field school approach in the demonstration plots.
- Act as a link between NRC and individual beneficiaries, farmer associations, producer groups and provide all information and support required.
- Monitor cash for work activities on daily basis
- Communicate with beneficiaries on project objectives, targeting criteria and beneficiary entitlements
- Ensure protection mainstreaming in implementation of cash program activities
- Work closely with M&E and participate in all assessment data collection e.g market, needs, PDM, baseline, endline, outcome monitoring.
- Ensure accountability mechanism are embedded in project implementation
Our Ideal Candidate
Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts
Experience conducting beneficiary identification, verification and registration
Experience supporting referrals and/or identifying service providers
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Anbar
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
NRC is an equal opportunity employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.