Malteser International, the worldwide relief agency of the Order of Malta for humanitarian aid, works in more than 25 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas for people in need, regardless of their religion, origin or political affiliation. Its mission is to provide emergency relief as well as to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence form the basis of its work in the following areas: Relief, Reconstruction & Rehabilitation; Health & Nutrition; Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH); Livelihood & Social Programs and Disaster Risk Reduction.
With its portfolio in Iraq, Malteser International is linking relief, rehabilitation and development and is implementing programs focussing mainly on Health, Protection and Livelihood. Malteser International plans for further growth in the region and is extending its portfolio in terms of geographical reach, sectoral programs and partners.
In support of our work in Iraq, Malteser International is looking for an Baghdad based,
Liaison Officer (part-time national position 50%)
As Liaison Officer, you will be responsible to represent Malteser International on country level towards government authorities and ensuring Malteser International is compliant with Government of Iraq (GoI) administrative and legal requirements. Be the primary focal point for Malteser International in Baghdad.
- Establishment of a network of local and national authorities, to obtain and cross check GoI regulations and requirements
- Participate in external meetings with authorities and other local and international stakeholders
- Facilitate meetings between local government authorities and Malteser International staff, and provide proper translation for expatriate staff if needed
- Accompany Malteser International staff during visits to governmental offices, local leaders, or other authorities
- Maintain strong coordination and liaise regularly with counterparts in other (I)NGOs
- Participate in coordination meetings of NGOs, UN organizations, NCCI and other stakeholders where needed
In coordination with the Program Administrator based in Erbil:
- Prepare and submit letters, reports and other documents as required to key stakeholders in Baghdad, including the Directorate of NGOs, Residency Office and follow up on the outcome of these processes
- Liaise with the Directorate of NGOs to ensure Malteser International registration dossier is up-to-date and complies with official requirements
- Prepare and submit visa requests for expatriate staff, follow-up on the progress of applications amongst the relevant authorities, and accompany expatriate personnel when activating their visas and or residencies, and any associated processes
- Prepare and submit Joint Coordination and Monitoring Center (JCMC) access letters to the right authorities and follow-up on the progress of applications
- Liaise with the relevant authorities to submit the required documentation to ensure compliance with taxation and labour laws
- Responsible for the smooth running of the Baghdad office including conducting the necessary administrative, financial and logistics tasks
- Maintain regular communication with the Office in Erbil and ensure that relevant information regarding changes in legal and administrative legislation is forwarded to the Program Administrator and Country Coordinator
- Provide monthly reports to the Country Coordinator
- Serve as Malteser International Local Focal Point Security in Baghdad and collect and share information on any security incident within the vicinity of the Malteser International office or areas regularly frequented with the Malteser International Security Focal Point in Dohuk
- Find suitable office space in Baghdad for Malteser International and support potential local recruitment
- Conduct additional tasks as assigned by the Country Coordinator
- Preferably a Master’s Degree in political sciences, international relations, law, security, or related positions.
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in International NGO
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in a position related with representation
- Experience in administration
- Highly knowledgable of governmental departments and legal frameworks
- Based in Baghdad and able to travel all over Iraq
- Strong network of contacts in Baghdad
- A strong team oriented approach with excellent interpersonal, networking and diplomatic skills
- Good capacities in context analysis, external representation and diplomacy
- Fluent in Arabic, good command of English. Very good writing and reporting skills in English and Arabic
- Start Date: pending on GoI registration
- Duty Station: Baghdad, with frequent travel to Erbil
- Duration of contract: 1 year with potential for extension
- Salary according to qualification and experience, including staff benefits
- Please note this a national position with a local part-time contract (50%)
Interested candidates in this position, please apply online at https://bit.ly/2Zr45RI
Kindly submit your application (CV, letter of motivation, copies of diplomas and three professional references) by May 16th, 2019.