Position: Legal Officers
Location: Sulaimaniyah, Iraq
Reports To: Project Coordinator
Application Deadline: 1 July 2019
Starting Date: July 2019
Transform the lives of the most marginalized and vulnerable communities and be at the forefront of social change.
About You: A driven and passionate mid-career professional looking to work alongside an inspiring, dynamic team of leading human rights workers. The candidate will have exceptional project management skills and embrace a collaborative, team approach to the work they do. This person has experience living and working in challenging operating environments and is eager to apply that experience working on innovative human rights projects that support some of the most vulnerable people in Iraq and the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI).
About Heartland Alliance International: Heartland Alliance International’s (HAI) mission is to secure the rights and well-being of marginalized people and communities. HAI envisions a world in which those whose rights have been violated are safe and empowered to actively engage in their communities and be at the forefront of social change. In Iraq, HAI provides holistic services focusing on psychosocial support, legal aid, violence prevention, and social cohesion to diverse vulnerable populations.
The Project: HAI is implementing a 9-months protection and legal services project in Sulaymaniyah Governorate and Garmiyan Administration. The project will ensure that internally displaced persons (IDPs) and refugees in the target location can access basic legal rights and protections under Iraqi and international law. The project will provide protection and direct legal services, including legal consultations and case representations, protection monitoring and community based protection services.
This position will be directly supervised by the legal team leader, under the guidance of the project manager. The Lawyers (legal officers) will be responsible for implementation of protection programming meeting quality standards. His/her primary role will be monitoring the situation of PoC in terms access to legal services, freedom of movement and oversee protection monitoring and assessment activities, including compiling protection information, implementing solutions to key protection concerns, receiving legal cases and solving properly with free of charge, information dissemination based on needs identified through monitoring data. He/she will ensure proper coordination between all aspects of the protection program in the field allowing for an effective response while ensuring that principles of confidentiality and ethics are upheld throughout the program implementation. She/he will also ensure the quality and timely submission of all reporting tools and respond to requests for information in a timely fashion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Legal officer will be based in Sulaymaniyah, Iraq with frequent travel to project target locations if security allows, and will work directly under the supervision of the Legal team leader to oversee legal activities. The Legal officer will ensure that all program activities will be implemented in line with the project work plan and in accordance with HAI and the donor’s standards and requirements.
- Conduct individual sessions providing legal information and legal counseling for IDPs/ Refugees and their families.
- Ensure completion of case intake forms of legal cases and regularly update the case trackers.
- Represent individual cases of clients in court, to government officials, security officials as needed.
- Present evidence to defend clients or prosecute defendants in criminal or civil litigation.
- Prepare documentation of legal proceedings.
- Perform administrative and management functions related to the practice of law.
- Capacity building and training to staff on confidentiality standards, including privacy and legal and constitutional rights of prisoners and detainees under Iraqi law;
- Advocate with different institutions and services providers to help beneficiaries to access needed resources and services.
- Participate in staff meetings, team building, and technical training and supervision meetings.
- Assist the Legal Team Leader in maintaining legal case documentation and oversee the development of case summaries;
- Conduct legal awareness sessions at camps and with host communities.
- Ensure monitoring and evaluation activities and reporting meet HAI’s standards and are completed on schedule;
- Supports compilation and writing of daily, monthly and quarterly updates.
- Coordinates with all stakeholders (Local authority, NGOs, etc.) and seeks out new partnerships and collaborations to improve service delivery.
- Participate in coordination meetings with sub-clusters and working groups covering Sulaimany governorate.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with stakeholders including partner agencies, local authorities, community leaders, NGOs and other service providers to improve service delivery.
- A bachelor degree in law
- Minimum three years’ experience in providing legal aid services in humanitarian settings (minimum Level B and C)
- Active member of the Iraqi Lawyers’ Syndicate.
- Strong analytical skills;
- A broad network of contacts and ability to navigate within the legislative and judicial fields in Baghdad and the IKR and across various ministries;
- A strong commitment to human rights and to implementation of international law.
- Demonstrated understanding of protection and ethical principles in humanitarian programming.
- Experience with Windows platform, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Excellent negotiation and relationship management skills, with the ability to proactively problem solve and find solutions
- Proven ability to calmly, professionally, and successfully manage multiple priorities
- Excellent drafting and oral communication skills in Arabic and Kurdish.
- Internet and Emailing skills.
- Ability to work as a member of a team essential and promote teamwork, comfortable in a multicultural environment.
- Positive, professional attitude, organized and prioritizes work under pressure, work overtime when necessary and be able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Required –English, Arabic, and/or Kurdish (read, write and communicate)
Personal Competencies: Collaborative spirit and ability to work independently as well as in a team; commitment to knowledge sharing and teamwork; positive attitude and ability to see through challenges to find solutions; and strong interpersonal skills and an ability to clearly communicate, including complex concepts into layperson language.
Resilience: This project will address sensitive issues. Interested applicants should have a strong commitment to addressing the issues with cultural sensitivity, respect, and confidentiality. Candidates should be flexible, have a sense of humor and patience.
To Apply: Please send cover letter (1 page maximum) explaining your interest and how your experience meets the qualifications required and a CV, to email@example.com . Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear back from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.