Role & Responsibilities
Implement quality health services and contribute to the achievement of proposal objectives within the planned timescale and budget. Build the capacity of the local health team by providing relevant supervision, training and technical support. Contribute to monitoring and reporting on project progress.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Duhok, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din governorates. Projects include Primary Health Care, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. As the Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Based in Mosul with all field / clinical work done in Telkaif, Telafar and Mosul districts, Ninewa governorate, Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, up to 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Responsible for the implementation, management and supervision of the assigned health projects in line with the activity plan of the project proposal and national and international guidelines. Conduct regular field trips to clinics and other health facilities for support and supervision.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted. Ensure the quality of the programme, with reports being made to the relevant field managers. Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Oversee the process of data collection to meet the requirements and deadlines set by Medair and external partners. Input into the development of the country strategy and donor proposals.
- Manage the team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, etc. The health team may include certified health staff (e.g. doctors, medical assistants, and nurses) and other health staff (e.g. pharmacy and laboratory assistants).
- Facilitate regular team meetings with the team, reviewing individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Promote the health and security of the health team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Work with the relevant field managers to plan, construct and manage health budgets.
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the assigned health team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication & Coordination
- Represent Medair at relevant meetings involving local authorities, UN agencies and other NGOs.
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned health team, Medair in-country health managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, local government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs).
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of all necessary medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned health activities, ensuring minimum stocks are maintained and items are distributed correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Participate as requested in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices.
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- Clinical degree (doctor, pharmacist, nurse, dentist).
- Strong working knowledge of English and Arabic (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years’ post-qualification medical professional experience.
- 2 years’ experience managing health projects and staff for an international organization.
- Able to develop good relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, other agencies and local authorities.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Excellent organisational skills. Able to oversee multiple tasks and to prioritise clearly.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
APPLY: All applicants should send an updated CV no longer than four pages, that should be in English. Your CV should also include contact details of two professional references.
(Please mention your permanent address in your CVs)
Submit a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Before Applying please read the below notes:
- Please write the position title in the subject line (Health Manager )
- CVs without position subject will not be considered
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Closing date for applications October 23, 2019.
- We will be reviewing the CVs on continues basis and the position can be filled even before the closing date.
Incomplete applications will not be considered
Note: Medair adopts a comprehensive approach to recruitment. All details relating to the recruitment and selection process are confidential and may not be disclosed.
Any inquiries in this regard will not be entertained.