The Iraq Delegation of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Baghdad invites qualified candidates to apply for the following vacancy:
Position: First Aid Medical Doctor
Duration of Contract: One year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal to an open ended contract)
Location: Iraq – Baghdad
Date of Issue: 11 February 2019
Deadline for applications: 24 February 2019
One of the ICRC main objectives worldwide is to deliver a practical training to armed groups in First Aid, ensuring they are equipped with life-saving knowledge and skills, and the confidence to act when needed.
Under the leadership of the Health Coordinator, the First Aid Medical Doctor is responsible for the coherent and efficient planning and implementation of the First Aid project in Iraq primarily focused on armed groups around the country and in coordination with the health teams in the different ICRC Sub Delegations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent will undertake the following responsibilities:
- Assists the Health department with the planning and implementation of ICRC health activities in Iraq more focus on First Aid Training (FAT) to armed groups.
- Create and maintain good relationship with first aid interlocutors.
- When requested, provide internal and external first aid training in coordination with the health delegate.
- Establish/ develop First Aid and Safer Access training program in order to improve the quality of care provided by the first responders/ aiders In Iraq more focused to armed groups.
- In new places identified, conduct a short assessment of the chain of casualty care (Pre-hospital).
- Assist the Health Coordinator in First aid training activities for the Emergency Medical service, Civil Defense and Police ambulances services program to ensure coherence within the objectives set in the PfR and the assistance strategy of the Delegation.
- Ensures that proper assessments, monitoring and impact evaluation are conducted according to the defined emergency respond standards.
- Promotes coordination and advocacy, among key institutional stakeholders in view of mobilizing adequate resources towards achieving priority causality referral system, structural development and reform objectives in coordination with Health Department.
- Facilitate related training workshops to update and/or upgrade First Aid operational and training skills (incl. identification of instructors' profiles and coaching/monitoring trainer’s training).
- Supervise the management of the First Aid equipment and materials associated with this project (including kits, stretchers, uniforms, flags, tents etc.).
- Monitors and reports on first aid related issues relevant to the activities of the project.
- Develops and reinforces partnerships with relevant Iraqi interlocutors.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Medical degree and/or relevant professional experience, an asset.
- Voluntary experience, an asset.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Humanitarian background experience, highly preferred.
- Very good communication skills.
- Good analytical skills.
- Team leadership skills.
- Experience in communicating and working with a wide range of people, including people of culturally diverse backgrounds;
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to draft clearly and concisely;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Ability to work under pressure ;
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results;
- Proficiency in Office applications, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Explorer.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism.
- Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies.
- Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients.
- Contributes to colleague's learning.
- Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems.
- Organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers.
ICRC Remuneration and Social Benefits: We offer
- A monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, medical coverage, training opportunities and social security scheme)
- The opportunity to practice your profession in an international, humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Support you through ongoing learning and development opportunities
The successful candidate will submit to a three month probation period.
Interested candidates should forward the following to (BAG_hrservices@icrc.org)
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications
- Salary expectations
Please indicate the post title you are applying for. Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permit in Iraq.
Due to the large number of inquiries we receive, only candidates who have met the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted immediately.
As ICRC, we are convinced that diversity makes us better at what we do: it enables us to form close relationships with wide-ranging communities and develop the best solutions for the people we work with. We make a conscious effort to have diverse teams with regards to age, disability, race, ethnicity, religion and sexual orientation and particularly in terms of gender as women make up more than 20 % of our staff and are encouraged to apply.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization
whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal
violence and provide them with assistance. Please visit our website for further information: www.icrc.org
ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).