Finance Specialist- Roving
Erbil, with frequent travel to all DRC Iraq locations
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
About the job
Roving Finance Specialist, supervised by the Sr. Finance Manager is responsible for capacity building field offices in relation to donor compliance on financial aspects, accounting, SoP implementation, identifying any capacity gaps and proposing appropriate solutions and capacity building of country office teams. and ERP systems.
- ERP project implementation from finance perspective in Iraq.
- Facilitate audits in Coordination and field offices, working with finance staff in field offices to train them on audits
- Training current and new staff on finance/accounting procedures with new updates from Coord, RO, and HQ
- Daily support of field offices with accounting.
- Quality and compliance check of all field office cashbooks and field office procedures. Quality control of the expenses booked in new system.
- Following up on Iraq mission’s x’s (Open Postings in the new system)
- Operation Handbook implementation in field offices
- Analyze the cash consumption in the country
- Assist the SFM in the development of new procedures or SoP’s
- Develop training modules for finance teams which can then be shared with DRC staff
- Checking eligibility of cashbooks and TDLs
- Cleaning up BFUs together with the FOs
- Making analyses quarterly based on the MFU/Master budget and share them with SMT
- Being the audit focal point. Prepare national staff for incoming audits and gather audit findings together with project development
- Review and compilation of budget proposals, including budgeting for support costs for the coordination office
- Regular meetings with the PD department on project development and financial compliance
- Checking instalments with the PD department
- Liaise closely with FO, RO, and HQ to ensure proper workflow
- Supporting the senior finance officer with accountancy and cash
- requirement to undertake travel for approximately 80% of the time
- Ability to travel often within country with short notice and for extended period.
- Any other duties assigned by Finance Manager
- Reporting to: Country Finance Manager
Experience and technical competencies:
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, or other related fields, or equivalent experience.
- Experience with people of concern
- Minimum 4 years of working experience with an international NGO, UN Agencies
- Knowledge of donors guidelines and procedures
- Good communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English
- Able to work independently and energetically
- Flexible approach to manage and prioritize a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office, and Excel proficiency.
- Good social skills to establish strong working relationships with colleagues
- Preferred relevant education in business management or accounting
- English, Arabic/Kurdish preferred
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 31-December-2019
Designation of Duty Station: Erbil with travelling accorss Iraq
Start date: As soon as possible
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Note: due to urgency of this position, the applications will be reviewed on rolling basis.
Closing date for applications: 17-October-2019
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo