Job Title, Level: Field Assistant for Livelihoods (one position)
Start Date: July 21, 2019
Level of Effort: Full-time through August 2020 (subject to funding)
Project title: Returnees, IDPs and Vulnerable Iraqis Attain Livelihoods (RIVAL)
Domiciled: Sumel district of Dahuk and Telkaif district of Ninewa.
Reports to: Program Director
Number direct reports: None
JDA seeks an experienced field manager who can conduct Cash for Work activities, livelihood grant administration and manage contractors; and agricultural activities. Because this position will interact with the primarily Chaldean people group, preference will be given to candidates from the project area of Telskof or Batnaya or based at the furthest in Dahuk city.
Write a short statement explaining why you have the skills and experience to fill this role, and why you want the job. Submit the statement with your CV.
RIVAL (Returnees, IDPs and Vulnerable Iraqis Attain Livelihoods) is a two-year livelihoods program funded by the US State Department’s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) and implemented by ZOA (Dutch NGO) and JDA. As agriculture plays a key role in the livelihoods of the target beneficiaries, the program focuses on rebuilding the agricultural activities in the targeted villages as a backbone of sustainable re-settlement of beneficiaries. The program will also create conditions in Telkaif district to enable resettlement and improve the socio-economic status of vulnerable groups of IDPs, returnees and host community members in Telkaif in Ninewe and Sumel in Dahuk through the provision of emergency livelihood opportunities. JDA’s role in RIVAL consists of six components under three broad economic development objectives. These activities will reach 3,500 direct beneficiaries.
Objectives of the position:
The Livelihoods Field Assistant will implement three components of Cash for Work (CfW), Income Generator (IG) and Small Business Rehabilitation (SBR). The Field Assistant will implement all three activities in districts of Dahuk and Ninewa, including cooperating with local governments and community groups, monitoring, reporting and overseeing payment. The Field Assistant will ensure compliance with the project requirements, will report to the Program Director and coordinate with the MEL Manager to support data gathering and information management needs. The work will be carried out in Sumel District of Dahuk, and in Telkaif District of Ninewa.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Working in Sumel District of Dahuk and Telkaif District of Ninewa, with occasional travel to Erbil.
- Coordinate the beneficiary survey process using an appropriate approach (such as self- targeting) within the selected community. Align eligibility criteria and the process of beneficiary survey, ensuring that survey is made in compliance with project
- Participate in community mobilization, beneficiary survey and registration
- Conduct community consultations to ensure the community is sensitized to the planned programming and conduct an awareness-raising session on Objective 1.
- Ensure records, including attendance sheets, collection of IDs, cash receipts, photographs, event logs, etc. as evidence to the donor of accountability and indicators being met, and consistency with the work plan is
- Ensure finance and administrative requirements are met: timesheets, payment schedules, data and narrative reporting
- Report on activities as required by the MEL Manager.
- Coordinate CfW contractor.
- Ensure that activities are carried out according to JDA policies and the correct procedures are followed throughout the time of
- Report to the RIVAL Program Director any problems encountered in the field such as project participant complaints, local authority interference and, ensuring adherence to health and safety standards, labor law, and human rights; follow up such incidents in our areas of operation.
- Strong interpersonal skills; courtesy, consideration and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural background,
- Ability to work systematically, use initiative, good judgment, and to communicate complex matters both orally and in writing,
- Ability to perform field assignments independently,
- Experience with mobile data collections tools like Open Data Kit (ODK) and/or Kobo,
- Good Computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook),
- Good organizational and time management skills,
- Participates in meetings with program staff to reflect on findings,
- Fluency in Arabic and Kurdish (writing and speaking), Kurdish is preferred (speaking); English is preferred
- Degree in social science, political science, agriculture, computer science or related field.
- Professional experience in a field relevant to the position in a comparable position, preferably with an (international) NGO or international development organization,
- Excellent use of technology related to data
- People of the Sumel and Telkaif district are strongly encouraged to
- Agreement with and commitment to abide by the thirteen JDAI values
- Willing to travel to remote districts and villages
- Keep information confidential
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Interested applicants are invited to send their updated resumes and a cover letter to the email address below.
Applicants must write [Field Assistant for Livelihoods] in the subject line of the email.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with a view for the successful candidate to start ASAP.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.