Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the international relief and development agency of the U.S. Catholic community. CRS works in over 100 countries around the world helping people in need regardless of race, religion, or ethnicity. In Iraq, CRS is currently supporting people displaced by ISIL to live in dignity through the provision of immediate food and non-food items, upgrades to shelter conditions and improved access to water and sanitation facilities, and educational and psychosocial (PSS) support for children. CRS and Caritas Iraq are currently serving over 9,000 children through access to quality education and psychosocial support activities to improve their well-being during displacement.
Under the administrative supervision of the Education Project Manager and the technical supervision of the MEAL Manager, the Education Project Officer (PO) for Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) is responsible for overseeing all Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning activities related to project implementation of the project, “Accessing Quality Basic Education in Iraq.” Responsibilities will include operationalizing the MEAL plan, maintaining the MEAL Operating Manual, monitoring and documenting compliance with CRS MEAL Policies and Procedures, collecting, managing and protecting project monitoring data for evidence based reporting and informed decision making, and liaising with CRS MEAL technical unit staff. The Education MEAL PO is also responsible for operationalizing a two-way feedback system based on preferred communication methods of project communities to ensure beneficiary preferences are taken into consideration in project design and implementation.
The Education MEAL Project Officer may be required to travel occasionally to Baghdad to support MEAL activities by the project’s implementing partner in Baghdad.
· Lead needs assessments, data collection, and analysis, as needed and with support from CRS’ MEAL Manager and Education Project Manager
Monitoring and Evaluation
· Lead and/or support the design of MEAL systems and MEAL plans based on local context
· Prepare and/or maintain MEAL Operating Manual for assigned project
· Draft monitoring and evaluation tools and excel maps with a particular emphasis on documenting successes, challenges, lessons learned, and opportunities
· Work with MEAL Technical Support Unit (TSU) to develop Terms of Reference (TOR) for baseline, endline, and other assessments as necessary
· Train data collectors on tools for qualitative and quantitative data collection activities with support from MEAL TSU
· Monitor data collectors in the field during data collection activities
· Debrief data collectors and clean data on a daily basis during data collection activities
· Document and follow up with action items resulting from reflection workshops
· Create tracking sheets, database, and cloud-based reports to house monitoring data with the support from the MEAL TSU
· Maintain project database in accordance with dimensions of data quality (validity, timeliness, integrity, reliability, precision)
· Promote ongoing, active use of visualization of data by Project Manager, Senior Project Officer, Project Officers, and Program Managers to inform data-driven decision-making.
· Submit project indicator data on a monthly basis to MEAL TSU and Project Management
· Coordinate with the Project Manager, Senior Project Officers, and Program Manager to lead high quality, quarterly, midterm and annual reflection and reporting processes
· Implement MEAL related project activities outlined in the detailed implementation plan
· Work closely with MEAL staff on ICT4MEAL solutions to project needs
· Work closely with MEAL TSU and project staff to design and oversee all training evaluations and learning assessments (i.e. pre and post tests)
· Ensure beneficiaries are consulted and their views taken into account at all stages of the program
· Develop community defined indicator(s) of success based on consulting females and males in at least 1 targeted community
· Identify and build working relationship with female and male community ambassadors in each target location
· Build and maintain relationships with beneficiary communities; contribute to maintenance of relationships with other relevant stakeholders
· Protect privacy of beneficiaries and confidentiality of data, sharing only with relevant staff (such as MEAL staff, Project Manager, Program Manager, Iraq Country Program Education Coordinator, HoP, CR, and Regional Technical Advisors) in accordance with CRS Iraq Data Protection Standards
· Report on a regular basis, highlighting any key concerns or issues in project implementation in a timely fashion
· Be aware of INEE Minimum Standards and track progress towards CRS supported schools achieving these standards
· Ensure that 2 two-way feedback mechanisms, which have been designed based on community preferences, facilitate beneficiary communication channels
· Work closely with Project Officers to effectively communicate project updates, entitlements, selection criteria and other relevant project information with communities
· Respond to and follow up with all feedback in collaboration with MEAL TSU’s Accountability Focal Point. Document feedback and responses as relevant in MEAL Operating Manual.
· Co-facilitate quarterly project reviews with Dohuk based staff as well as Baghdad staff and partner staff.
· Co-facilitate other periodic reflection or learning events for project team
· Document recommendations and action items resulting from reviews and reflections
· Develop and ensure implementation of project learning agenda
· Share evaluation results with key stakeholders
· Lead analysis of data collected for needs assessments, with support by MEAL Technical staff.
· Analyze and visualize monitoring and evaluation data
· Lead reflection workshops on analyzed data
· Facilitate annual Data Protection Standards self-assessment
· Promote Head Teacher usage of tablet visualization of classroom coaching results
· Analyze existing and new monitoring data to determine when new activities are needed and follow up with project management to ensure timely adjustments to the program in response to this data
· Work closely with project staff to document important activities and Lessons Learned for sharing with relevant stakeholders – including the Education Cluster, CRS Iraq, EMECA Regional Learning initiatives, and project beneficiaries
· Oversee data collection, data management, and protection of data
· Coordinate directly with CRS MEAL staff in Baghdad to support Monitoring and Evaluation of project activities in support of local partner in Baghdad
· Support capacity building for local partner MEAL and project staff to ensure operational accountability mechanisms in Baghdad.
· Report monthly to the Education Cluster, through ActivityInfo and in response to any other requests
Internal Coordination and Communications:
· Take part in regular team and staff meetings
· Be candid in conversations with program staff, and personal areas for growth so as to engage in continuous learning within the education sector
· Support cross-team learning through regular meetings with members of other sector teams, with emphasis on the CSC/ CRS supported Schools team
· Perform other duties as required by project supervisors, the Head of Programming, or the Country Representative
Internal: Program Managers for Education; Project Manager; Senior Project Officer in Dohuk; Project Officers; Project Engineer Officer; Senior Project Officer in Baghdad; Administrative Assistant Project Officer; MEAL Technical Support Unit and Community of Practice; CRS’ Admin and Finance Staff; Head of Programs; Head of Operations; Country Representative; Regional Technical Advisors
External: Local partner organizations; local and international organizations; government education officials; donors; community leaders; trainers, facilitators and educators; other local actors.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
· Serves with Integrity
· Models Stewardship
· Cultivates Constructive Relationships
· Promotes Learning
· Supports Effective Teamwork and Cooperation
· Focuses on Quality
· Excellent interpersonal skills with a strong beneficiary/local partner-service focus.
· Ability to work with diverse groups of people as a member of multi-cultural teams.
· Ability to prioritize work, multitask and control processes.
· Ability to work diligently and independently.
· Ability to work in a team work environment and coordinate team work.
· Ability to work under pressure with short deadlines.
· Maturity, diplomacy, tact and discretion, with strong negotiation skills.
· Ability to remain calm and professional in tense situations.
· Degree in marketing, software engineering, math, or social service-related field. Backgrounds in education, child protection, development or related field also relevant. Significant work experience in a related field, including strong research backgrounds, will be considered in lieu of a degree. Demonstrated experience in community mobilization, organization and relationship building.
· Excellent writing and communication skills in English, Kurdish and Arabic.
· Strong cross-cultural skills and experience working with different ethnic/cultural backgrounds.
· Willingness to travel to Baghdad at least once a quarter.
· Demonstrated capacity to establish and maintain strong, collaborative working relationships with local organizations, communities and other stakeholders.
· Experience working with monitoring and accountability, community surveys, or data management a plus.
· Experience working with children and educators desired; teaching experience a plus.
· Strong desire to engage with the education sector and continuously improve personal skill set.
· Knowledge of survey design, data protection, and INEE Minimum Standards and/or SPHERE Handbook a bonus.
· Proven ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
· Proficiency with Microsoft suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Foreign Language Required:
· Fluent English, Arabic. Kurdish strongly preferred.
Please submit your CV, via below link :