Under the supervision of the Programme Manager and the WASH Technical Coordinator, the Chief Engineer is responsible for the implementation of all technical programmes/interventions undertaken by ACTED either sub-contracted or through CFW/daily labour, value voucher, matching with ACTED’s quality criteria and strategy.
He/She is fully responsible of his/her activity in terms of quality, respect of the targets, bill of quantities, respect of the budget and deadline.
- Project Implementation, Planning and Follow Up:
- In collaboration with the programme team and coordination, determine the strategic direction of the programme in the short and medium term and map out activities, and contribute to the preparation of project proposals and budgets as necessary;
- Ensure that planned activities are successfully implemented according to ACTED’s quality standards and SoPs;
- Prepare Bills of Quantities and Designs as required by programmes;
- Provide relevant technical input and feedback to ensure that technical quality and standards are maintained in tendering documents, contract technical specification, technical supervision process, etc.
- Provide relevant technical expertise/guidance to ensure that technical quality and standards are maintained during project implementation (design and construction phases), especially in sanitation activities of faecal sludge treatment and faecal sludge management;
- Collaborate effectively with other line managers and the coordination team;
- Manage the WASH programme team. Ensure that they are wholly involved in programme planning and direction;
- Collaborate with the Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (AMEU) to assess need, monitor activities, and evaluate programme progress. Ensure that lessons learned in the course of implementation are integrated into the programme to ensure that it remains responsive and relevant;
- Provide input and regularly review all FLAT Follow-Up for ongoing programmes together with the relevant department manager and Programme Coordinator;
- Be alert to opportunities arising for learning, collaboration and partnership that may enhance programme quality and responsiveness;
- Identify and interact with existing WASH initiatives in the base, including UN, GO’s and NGO’s, and community initiatives;
- Develop and implement an exit strategy in collaboration with his/her team, AME unit and the Project Manager;
- Liaise with the relevant Technical Working Group / Cluster and its participants/ partners;
- Report regularly (as requested) to the Project Manager;
- Translate relevant documents or information during coordination and field visits;
- Develop team capacity at both the individual and group level by organising/ facilitating trainings internally or through specialist agencies / individuals;
- Facilitate trainings or programme coordination meetings by translating and/or leading discussions. Moreover, he/she shall be in a position to present ACTED’s global and programmatic strategies and activities in township NGO forum or for Local Authorities;
- Work proactively to ensure that the projects are responsive and relevant to community needs;
- Supervise Daily labour/sub-contractors/value voucher hired to support with the WASH activities;
- Submit accurate and detailed reports on assistance provided to beneficiary and technical activities conducted;
- Assist in building positive relations with local authorities and external actors to grant access to beneficiaries and coordinate on the use of public sites and infrastructures;
- Under supervision of the PM, forecast and prepare technical assessment and activities, triggering the commodities request to the relevant departments (e.g. logistics) if necessary;
- Ensure that project timeframe and deadlines are abide to and that the project runs on time;
- Ensure community/beneficiary feedback is collected and shared in programme and coordination meetings;
- Be responsible for the management of technical officers and for ensuring that all field teams are comprehensively briefed on the objective, expected output and overall implementation strategy of any given activity;
- Ensure that technical officers and other project/field staff are given training and complete all the necessary documentation in line with programme requirements.
- Project Support
- Provide regular reports to the PM on the progress of the implementation of activities and on observations made during the mission on the field, particularly during the construction phases;
- Support the PM in the preparation of internal and external reports. He/she will be expected to provide feedback from the field;
- To process data and information from the field – in particular ensure quality, consistency, accuracy, truthfulness, comprehensiveness of all collected data;
- To support assessment and monitoring staff to have an independent, open access to beneficiaries in order to collect complaints;
- To support in preparation of the monthly/weekly work plan schedules;
- To prepare all other report upon request by the Program Managers;
- Provide with suggestions on improvement of the work process as needed.
- Support with surveying of beneficiaries and others when needed;
- To perform accurate filing of all processed documents, monthly consolidated filing of key project documents in the office;
- To prepare, on demand, summaries and reports of activities or technical draws according to ACTED needs and reflecting the most accurate data of the activities developed;
- To support the assessment and monitoring staff on recording complaints if needed;
- On close coordination with internal audit department, to assist on the final reporting of activities, including field verification of leftover stocks and identification of beneficiaries
- Ensure all relevant filing is properly organised, up-to-date and complete for all projects. He/she shall, also work closely with the FLAT teams to support project reconciliation / general monthly follow-up exercises.
- Required qualifications and technical competencies
- Civil Engineer profile with at least 5 years of experience in design/building large scale infrastructure and civil engineering works. Preference to who has worked on sanitation projects such as wastewater treatment plant, faecal sludge treatment plant, treatment ponds, etc.
- Strong experience in tendering process, construction supervision and contractors management;
- Good knowledge and experience on sanitation management;
- AutoCad proficiency required, GIS knowledge is an asset.
- Professionalism and Personal Qualities
- A willingness to learn quickly, ask questions, and improve on his/her skills;
- Excellent communication, diplomatic and motivational skills with program staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders in the area;
- S/he is committed to honesty and clarity in all data collection, and expects the same from cash for work staff;
- Strong attention to detail, and ability to prioritize and problem solve in a fast moving, multi-site environment;
- Demonstrate flexibility to work on unusual hours and cope with the pressure from emergency activities;
- English, Kurdish and Arabic language skills are required.
Interested candidates can apply via the following link:
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.