Purpose/objective of the position:
The Legal Team Leader is responsible for Implementation of legal services in accordance with INTERSOS mandate, priorities and donor agreements. He/she will support and coach Lawyers throughout the legal process, provide daily oversight to lawyers under his/her supervision, and directly handle complex cases as needed.
Main legal issues to be covered include:
- Family law;
- Gender-based violence and child protection;
- Legal identity including obtaining civil documentation necessary to access rights and services (birth registration, marriage registration, etc.)
- Citizenship and statelessness issues related to displacement.
- Supervise and coach a team of lawyers, ensuring they deliver quality legal services in a timely manner and in accordance with Legal SOPs;
- Support the Legal Officer in undertaking regular monitoring & evaluation of project activities, and contribute to monthly progress reports on activities, highlighting any technical or operational successes;
- Assess on an individual bases the need for provision of financial assistance to vulnerable beneficiaries to cover administrative or legal fees, or transportation allowance to attend administrative or court proceedings
- Conduct basic intake interviews with beneficiaries in order to assess legal and urgent protection needs (as needed);
- Provide legal information to clients on the main legal issues encountered;
- Plan and facilitate awareness sessions for the community of concern on different legal topics;
- Be involved in the office organization of awareness sessions on any topic to be decided according to need, in close coordination with the Legal Officer;
- Attend meetings and workshops as requested by the Legal Officer;
- Respect deadlines for delivering of weekly, monthly and ad-hoc reports on legal activities and statistics;
- Under supervision of the Legal Officer, update and monitor the legal and referral databases weekly to ensure the quality of the information included;
- Contribute to the drafting of internal/external reports according to INTERSOS and donor requirements ensuring quality and timely submission;
- Collect and deliver all required invoices that relate to legal fees;
- Carry out all tasks respecting key protection principles including but not limited to: PSEA, do no harm, non-discrimination, confidentiality and accountability and need-to-know principles,
- Daily field visits and support to legal teams in terms of planning and implementing the legal activities;
- Conduct visits to the courts and local authorities in order to facilitate and coordinate the legal activities;
- Collect and deliver all required papers that relate to HR;
- Other duties as assigned by the Legal Officer.
Education and professional experience:
- Bachelor degree in Law and member of Iraq or KRI Lawyers Syndicate;
- Hold a valid bar association ID B or C;
- Minimum Four years of relevant professional experience or master degree with three years’ experience.
- Previous working experience with IDPs, refugees and returnees;
- Prior experience working with government authorities is a plus;
- Excellent knowledge of the Iraqi legal system and legal procedures;
- Strong knowledge of international protection and human rights legal standards;
- Experience in Supervision and / or Coaching is preferred.
Competencies: (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- High confidentiality, respect and a non-discriminatory attitude
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and report writing skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team
- Fluency in Arabic and Kurdish (written and spoken)
- High intermediate level of English (written and spoken)
For Application, PLEASE VISIT THE GOOGLE FORM LINK (YOU WILL NEED A GOOGLE ACCOUNT TO ACCESS IT)
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Your resume must be uploaded in PDF format.
INTERSOS is reviewing applications on a rolling basis, the vacancy might be filled before the closing date.
“Please note that the preference will be given to qualified candidates that are from the recruitment area”