Function: Technical Staff
Job title: HR Officer
Name of collaborator: 1 assistant
Location : Erbil, Iraq (capital based) with travel to the field 20%
Reports to (Hierarchically): Country HR Manager
Working time in % : 100
Classification of the function : $1904
B ( Technical Staff)
Start date : 10 January 2022
Duration: 6 Months
Objective: Provide support to the Country HR Manager in management of Erbil office and carry out HR operations for the mission.
General Responsibilities (Overall purpose)
Terre des hommes Foundation – Helping children worldwide (Tdh), is the leading Swiss foundation for children’s aid, with its headquarters in Lausanne, and registered in Iraq with the No 2178598. Tdh aims to create a positive impact on children's lives in almost 40 countries around the world, through our Health, Access to Justice, Migration and Child Protection transversal programmes.
Tdh started its operations in Iraq in Dec 2014 responding to needs of children and youth between the age group of 9-22 years, affected by the ISIL -driven crisis of 2014-2017. Due to high unmet needs for children, youth, and their families affected by the crisis, Tdh scaled up its interventions to 12 districts within 5 governorates (Anbar, Kirkuk, Ninewa, Baghdad & Salah al-Din), providing assistance in child protection, juvenile justice, education and WASH assistance in emergency.
In the long-term, through its Multi-year Country Strategy 2022 – 2024 and its long term Vision for the Country Programme, Tdh plans to reinforce and expand interventions due to the persistent overwhelming needs of children, youth and families through a NEXUS approach, responding to the protracted humanitarian needs while contributing to achieving durable solutions for the most vulnerable and at-risk population groups in the sectors of Child Protection, Education, WASH and Access to Justice for children, youth and women.
As of November 2021, Tdh with its 90 staff employees, is currently implementing a 7,5 Million CHF emergency, rehabilitation, and development program, across the country through its bases and offices in Baghdad, Ninewa, Salah al-Din and Kirkuk governorates working alongside and in collaboration with local partners and national authorities. The main donors are USG, UNOCHA, ECHO, SDC, GIZ, UNICEF. The main coordination office is in Erbil with a multi-cultural, very experienced, and highly motivated team providing support, technical expertise and ensuring accountability, while working closely with the collaborators in the Regional office in Amman, Jordan and the Head Quarters (HQ) in Lausanne, Switzerland.
Terre des hommes (Tdh) launched its activities in Kirkuk, Iraq, in January 2015. Tdh has provided cash assistance to displaced and vulnerable host families. Tdh has followed humanitarian developments in through winterization kits and safe water drinking supply. Tdh strategy is to provide integrated humanitarian assistance for all IDPs located in Baghdad, Salah Aldin - Shirqat, ,Kirkuk, Mosul , and Tal Afar.
Starting from June 2016, Tdh has worked with agency to provide the integrated emergency assistance to IDPs and vulnerable conflict-affected persons in Iraq.
General description of the position:
The HR Officer will support the Country HR Manager, she/he is in charge of management of Erbil office and carry out HR operations for the mission for the following:
· Participate in the management and implementation of HR policy at the coordination office
· HR Operations
· Recruitment of national staff in the mission (coordination and support to bases)
· Performance management of national staff in the mission
Ensure the respect of HR procedures and processes at coordination office. Initiate discussions on improvements to be made in his/her field. Participate in the development of new tools in his/her field of activity.
The incumbent will conduct his or her duties in accordance with the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy.
Terre des hommes expects its personnel to behave in accordance with local culture and traditions. The incumbent assures the moral protection of the name of Terre des hommes and upholds in all circumstances the interests of the organization.
Tdh intervenes without any affiliation to politics, religion or financial profit. The incumbent will direct his or her activities and engagements without preoccupation of political, racial or religious affiliation.
Main responsibilities :
HR Officer is responsible for ;
1. Management and implementation of HR Policies
· To ensure internal staff regulations are implemented and effectively working in Erbil coordination Office.
· Providing support to field bases on Central government Social Security, Income Tax benefits reforms
· Providing updates to Country HR Manager on tax legislations updates from the relevant KRI ministry and prepare the quarterly payments for further submission
2. HR Operations
· Contract management of all national staff in the mission by ensuring all the staff are covered with valid contracts during their employment with Tdh
· With support of HR teams in field, keep track on contract expiry and probation period
· Responsible for maintaining and updating the HR databases of the capital and fields offices, as well keep updating HR records on homere system of the capital office .
· Preparing the monthly payroll for the capital office and submit it to Country HR Manager for final validation.
· Ensure to support field team for the payroll preparation and compile payrolls received from field offices and finalize them.
· Keep track of salary advances for Erbil national HR staff in office and record them in timely manner
· Provide the monthly HR statistics and reports (organigrams, national staff list) to the Country HR Manager
· Ensure monthly time allocation sheets are signed.
3. Recruitment of national staff in the mission:
· Ensuring recruitment procedures are implemented according to Tdh recruitment guidelines for the national staff in the bases and coordination office
· repeated in CHRM JD
4. Health Isurance for staff
· Provide monthly updated endorsement sheet for all staff and submit it to Country HR Manager for final validation
· Share the medical claims of staff in (Erbil, Kirkuk, Tal) field offices with the health insurance company and follow up on staff cash reimbursements
· Request Health Insurance ID cards for new joiners and follow up of their delivery
· Prepare the monthly invoice as per the allocation sheet from Finance and submit to CHRM and DFC and Admin Co
5. Performance Management of national staff
· Assist Country HR Manager to conduct the annual performance appraisals
· With support of Country HR Manager, provide trainings/refreshers to managers/supervisors on annual appraisals
· Prepare a monthly performance appraisal data base for the mission and follow up on the execution in a timely manner
And any other tasks requested by the supervisor upon the needs of the mission
- Diploma or degree in management, business administration and/or Human Resources
- At least 2 years’ of HR experience, with 1 years in a similar position and ideally in the same sector.
- Strong cross-cultural communication and resilience skills
- Advance IT knowledge (hardware and software, Microsoft Office,).
- Previous experience with an INGO is mandatory.
- Previous experience in emergency response is appreciated.
- Previous experience with HOMER software is an asset.
- Hands on knowledge of Iraqi/Kurdish Labor Law
- Strong sense of confidentiality and promotion of a healthy work environment
- Required qualities: organized, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills.
- Desirable: proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context.
Fluent in English and Arabic (written and spoken) is mandatory, Kurdish is an asset
We believe in equal employment opportunities irrespective of race, gender, region and ethnicity
Application Process and Deadline:
Application should contain the following two attachments:
Application should be submitted to " firstname.lastname@example.org " with writing the exact subject (HR Officer - Erbil)
Otherwise CV's not be accepted.
Link to CV's will be disregarded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.